Conflict between avahi and howl/mDNSResponder

Willy Picard picard at kti.ae.poznan.pl
Fri Jul 7 09:25:24 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 09:55:11PM +1000, Sam Lawrance wrote:
> On 06/07/2006, at 9:11 PM, Willy Picard wrote:
>
> >Currently, avahi conflicts with howl/mDNSResponder. As a user of  KDE, I have
> >plenty of applications that depend on mDNSResponder. But at the  same time, I
> >am a user of OpenOffice.org, Firefox, eclipse and many others that  depend on
> >avahi (mainly because of gnome-vfs). The current conflict has the following
> >consequence: I cannot update the applications that depend on avahi  because
> >avahi cannot be updated. Therefore, my question is the following: what
> >should I do to have Firefox, OpenOffice.org and the like updated? Should I
> >delete  avahi and force a dependence of these applications with
> >howl/mDNSResponder?  Should I wait till Gnome and KDE find an agreement on
> >this conflict :) ?
>
> This has been raised a number of times, check the archives.

First, thank you very much for this very interesting contribution!!! This is a
real good piece of help!

For those that still have the avahi+howl+mDNSResponder conflict, here is a way
to turnaround the problem:

1) Remove the /var/db/ports/avahi/options file if you have one
2) Run the following command: portupgrade -o net/avahi -f howl
3) When the option page appears, DO NOT enable the mDNSResponder compatibility
4) Run the following command: portupgrade -f avahi

This is working for me and I hope it may help other persons to overcome the
avahi+howl+mDNSResponder conflict. If the proposed solution is wrong or
incorrect, please let others know about it.

Willy
Willy Picard                        e-mail: picard at kti.ae.poznan.pl
Dept. of Information Technology     www:    http://www.kti.ae.poznan.pl/
The Poznan University of Economics  tel:    +48 61 848 05 49
Mansfelda 4, 60-854 Poznan, Poland  fax:    +48 61 848 38 40