Conflict between avahi and howl/mDNSResponder

Willy Picard picard at kti.ae.poznan.pl
Thu Jul 6 11:11:57 UTC 2006

Hi,

Currently, avahi conflicts with howl/mDNSResponder. As a user of KDE, I have
plenty of applications that depend on mDNSResponder. But at the same time, I am
a user of OpenOffice.org, Firefox, eclipse and many others that depend on avahi
(mainly because of gnome-vfs). The current conflict has the following
consequence: I cannot update the applications that depend on avahi because avahi
cannot be updated. Therefore, my question is the following: what should I do to
have Firefox, OpenOffice.org and the like updated? Should I delete avahi and
force a dependence of these applications with howl/mDNSResponder? Should I wait
till Gnome and KDE find an agreement on this conflict :) ?

Regards,

Willy Picard
Willy Picard                        e-mail: picard at kti.ae.poznan.pl
Dept. of Information Technology     www:    http://www.kti.ae.poznan.pl/
The Poznan University of Economics  tel:    +48 61 848 05 49
Mansfelda 4, 60-854 Poznan, Poland  fax:    +48 61 848 38 40