[DADVSI] aMule ports : looking for a new maintainer

ganael.laplanche ganael.laplanche at martymac.com
Mon Jul 3 19:15:09 UTC 2006

Hi folks,

I'm sorry to inform you that I've decided to stop maintaining the 2 aMule ports
net-p2p/amule1 and net-p2p/amule2. I created them about 3 years ago and have
been maintaining them since.

I live in France and it has become too dangerous for me to maintain them. The
new "DADVSI" law has just be approved, and the one who shares a "p2p software
obviously dedicated to piracy" incurs 3 years of jail and 300.000 euros. The law
is not "active" yet, but it will be very soon. Even if I really don't think aMule
is a piracy software, this might not be everybody's opinion. Moreover, a good
citizen has to respect the law, so I'll do.

I've just changed the Maintainer to ports at FreeBSD.org. I've also warned the
aMule team and removed links on my Website (http://contribs.martymac.com). I'd
be happy if someone could take care of those two orphan ports...

Here is the related PR : http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=99753

Best regards,

Ganaël LAPLANCHE
ganael.laplanche at martymac.com