Renaming and symlinking shared libraries

Mon Jul 3 09:40:27 UTC 2006

Quoting Alejandro Pulver <alepulver at freebsd.org> (from Sat, 1 Jul 2006
20:25:22 -0300):

> AFAIK the symlinks would be (under lib/, in src->dest form) the
> following. This shows the renaming of libtest to libtest-2, with major
> version of 2.
>
> libtest-2.so -> libtest-2.so.2
> libtest-2.so.2 -> test2/libtest-2.so.2 (real)
>
> Inside test2/.
>
> libtest.so -> libtest-2.so
> libtest-2.so -> libtest-2.so.2 (real)
>
> Then I link a program with "cc -o test -L/usr/local/lib/test2 -ltest".
> I did it with lua4 but after linking 'ldd' says it can't find
> "libtest.so".
>
> Have I missed something?

You have to ldconfig the test2 directory, else the run-time linker
will not find the lib (it doesn't know where to search for it).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Atlee is a very modest man.  And with reason.
		-- Winston Churchill