OpenLDAP maintenance

Konstantin Saurbier saurbier at math.uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Jan 31 22:18:06 PST 2006

Dave Horsfall wrote on Wed Feb 01, 2006 um 05:03:45PM:
> On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, Konstantin Saurbier wrote:

Regarding your opinion of openldap22-* we should set the port deprecated
and on the same time set an expiration date e.g. 3 months from now on.
Using this, all users of openldap22 get the chance to upgrade to 2.3
without suddenly removing the port out of the blue.

> > > The OpenLDAP developers themselves recommend that DB 4.2.52 be used,
> > > not 4.3.29.
> >
> > From the 2.3.19 release Readme:
> >
> > "BDB and HDB backends require Sleepycat Berkeley DB 4.2 or later" this
> > includes BDB 4.3.29.
>
> Please see:
>
> http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200506/msg00370.html
>
> The situation has not changed.  Also note that 4.4 is out, and it
> definitely is not recommended yet.

Thanks i haven't noticed this discussion. As far as i can see 4.3 is not
usable but maybe the port should provide a method to use it while 4.2
stays as the standard option.
It seems that 4.2.52 is also not the best situation but is stable enough
with different official and more or less unofficial patches.
In short, 4.2 should be the default while it should be possible to use
4.3, 4.1 or even 4.4.

> > > And yes, I'm happy to support it if noone else will...
> >
> > Feel free to submit a PR and ask for taking maintainership within this PR.
>
> OK.

You don't have to submit the PR or take maintainership and I'm absolutely
willing to do both. Whoever takes maintainership and whateve is done, this
situation needs a fast and reliable solution.
Sorry if my last mail sounded a bit harsh to you.
--

Best regards,

Konstantin Saurbier

Konstantin Saurbier                Tel.: 0521 106 3861
Computerlabor Mathematik                        U5-138
Universitaet Bielefeld             Universitaetsstr.25
33501 Bielefeld
email:                  saurbier at math.uni-bielefeld.de