FreeBSD Port: mysql-server-4.1.16

Julien Lirochon jlirochon at cyanide-studio.com
Tue Jan 31 14:12:50 PST 2006

Mike Jakubik a écrit :
> Julien Lirochon wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Could I suggest to enable -DWITH_LINUXTHREADS by default on
>> mysql41-server port ?
>>
>> I'm running 5.4 stable, and 6.0 stable, on several machines.
>>
>> CPUTYPE=pentium4 or CPUTYPE=athlon
>> CFLAGS= -O2
>>
>> If I intall the mysql-server port by "make install", the resulting
>> mysqld just can't work. It keeps crashing again and again, even under
>> very very low stress.
>
> Uhm, no you may not :P I don't want to use linux anything. I have this
> version of mysql running just fine on several boxes, with default
> threading. How does it crash? Can you provide more details? Also, have
> you tried using libthr or version 5 of mysql instead?
I agree, that's not a very artistic way to solve the problem...
Maybe it's related to CPUTYPE or kernel options ?
My tests were run on GENERIC kernel on both pentium4 and athlon.

mysqld error log says :

mysqld in free(): warning: chunk is already free
mysqld in free(): warning: modified (chunk-) pointer
060130 17:12:36  mysqld restarted
060130 17:12:36  InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally!
InnoDB: Starting crash recovery.
(...)
/usr/local/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '4.1.16-log'  socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock'  port: 3306  FreeBSD
port: mysql-server-4.1.16
mysqld in free(): warning: modified (chunk-) pointer
060130 17:12:57  mysqld restarted
060130 17:12:58  InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally!
InnoDB: Starting crash recovery.
(...)
/usr/local/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections.

As you can see, the crash/restart occurs several times in a minute
(under normal load).
No more problem for me with linuxthreads (rock solid for about 30h now
on the same box)

I will try to link against libthr to see if it can survive too ;)

Julien