gamin vs fam

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 29 14:16:30 PST 2006

Jean-Yves Lefort schrieb:

> The first part of your statement is not right. Gamin has been
> successfully tested by a considerable number of GNOME users during the
> last 9 months or so.

My statement was about flipping the USE_FAM default and it is obviously
correct:

- Nobody checked for ports that depend on fam directly (instead of using
USE_FAM).

- FAM_SYSTEM_FAM and FAM_SYSTEM_GAMIN use the same dependency file,
meaning that on systems that already had fam installed, portupgrade will
now register dependencies on gamin without actually installing it,
leaving most users and portupgrade confused.

- Gamin still only implements a subset of fam's functionality and until
that changes should *never* become the default -> POLA.

Quite frankly, I think whoever in portmgr approved this change should go
to storage, fetch themselves a nice pointy hat from storage and then
back out this mess.

Cheers,
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org