Proper procedure question

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Sun Jan 29 10:37:43 PST 2006

I'm working on a port of sara www-arc.com/sara, and I have a few questions
about how to solve problems correctly.

1) Once the port compiles, it installs everything (and there's quite a lot)
in /usr/local/sara.  Normally you would put the binary in /usr/local/bin,
the libraries in /usr/local/lib, etc.  Doing that would take quite a bit of
work.  Here's the directory structure of the port once it's been built and
installed:

sara/add_user
sara/config/
sara/perl/
sara/reconfig
sara/rules/
sara/sara.8
sara/bin/
sara/html/
sara/perllib
sara/results/
sara/sara

There's a ton of perl scripts in this distro - 82 in bin alone, and the
html directory has tons of subdirectories and probably more than two
hundred files.  (I haven't bothered to actually count them all.)

I know, for example, that apache installs in /usr/local/www.  Is this an
appropriate way to handle this port?

2) Once the port is built, when you try to run it, it complains about being
unable to find certain perl scripts in its own build, because they're not
in @INC.  This can be solved by creating directories under ${SITE_PERL}
(which is in @INC) and then simlinking the files there.  Is this the
correct way to solve this problem?

3) The man page (sara.8) doesn't install correctly.  (I tried using MAN8=
sara.8.)  I've tried using MANCOMPRESSED and NOMANCOMPRESSED, but neither
makes any difference.  When I view the file, it looks just like any other
man page.  Is there a way to solve this problem?

4) I'm using USE_PERL_RUN=   yes in the Makefile, but I'm wondering if
there's something I can do there to solve problem number 2.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member