www/firefox bug amd64

Conor McDermottroe lists at mcdermottroe.com
Wed Jan 25 02:33:29 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 11:11 -0600, Brandon Beamer wrote:
> I installed www/firefox from ports. Everything went ok, firefox even ran
> fine for a few hours. After a little browsing, firefox exhibited periods
> of non-responsiveness. Now, every time I open firefox, the window comes
> up but it locks up and never draws anything into the main content area.
> Recompiling/reinstalling does not help. I recently installed FreeBSD 6
> on an amd64 computer so maybe it's a 64-bit thing. I can reproduce the
> problem simply by running firedox.

I've seen the same thing for as long as I've had Firefox on
FreeBSD/amd64 (about 1 year, on both 5.x and 6.x).

>From my cursory investigations I have found that the following appears
to be true:

1) This problem appears to be related to the content being rendered as
some sites will /always/ hang the browser. I suspect that it has
something to do with content other than HTML/JPEG/PNG/GIF. I can
reliably hang the browser by clicking on a link to a PDF and the sites
that cause hangs tend to be "rich" in JavaScript/Flash/Streaming media.
The next time I find a website that does it, I'll post a followup with
the URL.

2) This problem can also be reproduced in epiphany, so odds are it's in
the common code between the two browsers.

Hope this helps shed more light on the problem. I haven't had the time
to dig further.

-C