Something wrong with portlint?

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Tue Jan 24 12:10:35 PST 2006

--On Tuesday, January 24, 2006 12:20:48 -0500 Joe Marcus Clarke
<marcus at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>>> There has been some extensive port framework changes (see -ports
>>> archive) If you send the PR in question, I'd gladly take a look at it
>>> for you. Thanks
>>>
>> There's actually two - 92239 and 92241
>
> In 92239, you moved the CATEGORIES line to the wrong location.  If you
> put CATEGORIES right PORTVERSION, it passes portlint just fine.  With
> 92241, you have a blank line between PORTVERSION and CATEGORIES.  You
> can't do that.

I moved them because portlint complained about where they were.  That was
the entire point of my question.  Did you actually run portlint against the
PRs?  Or are you just assuming from looking at them?

I know where CATEGORIES is *supposed* to go (according to the Porter's
Handbook), but portlint didn't like it there.  It kept complaining when it
put it where I normally do, which is right after PORTVERSION and right
before DISTVERSION, etc.

If I do this:
PORTNAME=       barnyard
PORTVERSION=    0.2.0
CATEGORIES=     security
MASTER_SITES=   ${MASTER_SITE_SOURCEFORGE}
MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR=     barnyard

MAINTAINER=     pauls at utdallas.edu
COMMENT=        An output system for Snort

I get this:
portlint -A
WARN: /usr/ports/security/barnyard.new/pkg-plist: Both ``%%PORTDOCS%%@dirrm
%%DOCSDIR%%'' and ``%%PORTDOCS%%@unexec %D/%%DOCSDIR%% 2>/dev/null ||
true'' are missing.  At least one should be used.
FATAL: Makefile: non-comment line in comment section.
WARN: Makefile: for new port, make $FreeBSD$ tag in comment section empty,
to make CVS happy.
FATAL: Makefile: extra item "MAINTAINER" placed in the PORTNAME section.
FATAL: Makefile: extra item "COMMENT" placed in the PORTNAME section.
FATAL: Makefile: PORTNAME has to be there.
FATAL: Makefile: PORTVERSION or DISTVERSION has to be there.
FATAL: Makefile: CATEGORIES has to be there.
FATAL: Makefile: extra item "RUN_DEPENDS" placed in the MAINTAINER section.
FATAL: Makefile: COMMENT has to be there.
10 fatal errors and 2 warnings found.

If I do this:
PORTNAME=       barnyard
PORTVERSION=    0.2.0

MAINTAINER=     pauls at utdallas.edu
COMMENT=        An output system for Snort

I get this:
 portlint -A
WARN: /usr/ports/security/barnyard.new/pkg-plist: Both ``%%PORTDOCS%%@dirrm
%%DOCSDIR%%'' and ``%%PORTDOCS%%@unexec %D/%%DOCSDIR%% 2>/dev/null ||
true'' are missing.  At least one should be used.
FATAL: Makefile: non-comment line in comment section.
WARN: Makefile: for new port, make $FreeBSD$ tag in comment section empty,
to make CVS happy.
FATAL: Makefile: PORTNAME has to be there.
FATAL: Makefile: PORTVERSION or DISTVERSION has to be there.
5 fatal errors and 2 warnings found.

Maybe my portlint is screwed up?

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer