fam vs gamin

Jean-Yves Lefort jylefort at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 24 09:54:01 PST 2006

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:29:53 +0100
Alex Dupre <ale at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Jean-Yves Lefort wrote:
> > The delays are likely caused by the fact that you have reached the
> > file descriptor limit; beyond that limit, gamin can no longer monitor
> > files with kqueue, and has to periodically lstat() them. You should
> > try to set a very large kern.maxfiles in /boot/loader.conf (you need
> > one file descriptor per monitored file); see pkg-message for details.
>
> Yes, I did it, but the problem about delays was different (not a matter
> of a few seconds related to kqueue or polling). Today I discovered it's
> present also with polling and probably due to this (from gam_channel.c):
>
>     /**
>      * Todo: check if write will block, or use non-blocking options
>      */
>
> I suspect the write to one client blocks and until some events are read
> no more events are delivered even to other clients.

You're probably right. Good catch.

> > However, events should never be lost (although they can be
> > substantially delayed when monitoring a very large directory on a slow
> > machine, because event processing time increases linearly with the
> > number of files contained in the directory). Please cc your findings
> > to me.
>
> Of course. Today I had no time to test the kqueue backend, but I'll do
> it tomorrow. If I remember correctly, this was the scenario where I
> detected lost events:
> - a few dirs with thousans file (5 dirs with 2000 files)
> - new fam connection and 5 monitors on these dirs
> - one or two directory correctly delivered Exists events for the
> existing files, the others delivered only Exists and EndExist for the
> directories, as if they were empty
>
> In any case I'll be more precise tomorrow.

Are you sure that:

  - you were monitoring the directories with FAMMonitorDirectory() and
    not FAMMonitorFile()?
  - you had the permission to open the directories?

--
Jean-Yves Lefort

jylefort at FreeBSD.org
http://lefort.be.eu.org/