icon for AMD Opteron

Paul Scherf pscherf at acm.org
Thu Jan 19 23:03:22 PST 2006

Hello Mr. Ports, (-:

I'm running FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT on a machine with AMD Opteron processors in
64-bit mode. (Sometimes I update every couple weeks. Sometimes I wait a
couple months.) I'm a fan of the Opteron. I'm a fan, of sorts, of the icon
programming language. I see that /usr/ports/lang/icon (the Icon programming
language) is marked:

ONLY_FOR_ARCHS= alpha i386

I built an older version of the icon port several months ago (I commented out
the ONLY_FOR_ARCHS line. I don't remember if I had to do anything else.), and
the simple icon programs I tried seemed to run just fine, but I can imagine
there might be some assembly language hidden in there somewhere to implement
some icon feature I did not try.

Is there a way I can find out whether amd64 is not included because some part
of it is known not to work, or just no one tried it on amd64?

I might be interested in fixing some things to get them to run on amd64. About
the time I last built icon I tried to follow the instructions in the docs
about submitting patches for ports, but my email was rejected. Is there
someone at FreeBSD.org interested enough in the icon port (or things amd64)
to answer my question and consider at any patches I come up with? The

MAINTAINER= ports at FreeBSD.org

makes me think the answer might be "No.".

Paul
--
Paul Scherf
pscherf at acm.org