Old perl-based script to manage ports

Seán C. Farley sean-freebsd at farley.org
Thu Jan 19 10:06:01 PST 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Michael C. Shultz wrote:

> On Thursday 19 January 2006 09:24, Seán C. Farley wrote:
>> Ok.  The subject line is a rip-off of Doug Barton's.  :)  When I saw
>> his message in the archives, I decided to announce my contribution.
>> There can never be enough tools to manage ports.  :)
>>
>> I started writing this tool in 2003 when Perl was still in the base.
>> It is called Port Manager[1] (one of a few called this), pm.pl
>> specifically.  It is comparable to portupgrade with a few exceptions
>> as listed on the web page.  Build error recovery is a big feature.
>>
>> Although it is not well documented, 'pm.pl -nva' should show what
>> would be done to update a system without actually doing it.
>> Obviously, -h will provide you with help.  A .pmrc can be used for
>> options specific to ports and to hold from updating ports.  Globals
>> for all ports go into /etc/make.conf.  I just need to document the
>> .pmrc file.
>
> Can you show where you posted this prior to 2004-04-20 with a
> copyright notice? A reference from archive.org (wayback machine) for
> example.  If you have proof I will change the name of portmanager to
> avoid infringing on your copyright and if you don't I insist you stop
> infinging on mine.

Neither of us are infringing on each others' copyrights since we are not
copying each others source.  Trademarks are what you are thinking about,
and we (at least I) do not have these.

> See https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=107280 for the
> first official portmanager posting dated 2004-04-20.

I first made mention of it on August 24, 2004[1].  We are both eclipsed
by the Darwin PortsManager[2].

Seán
   1. http://bsdnews.com/view_story.php3?story_id=4694
   2. http://www.opendarwin.org/pipermail/darwinports/2003-March/016245.html