[BOO!] Ruby 1.8.4 testers wanted

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Thu Jan 12 16:23:17 PST 2006

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:34:58 -0600, Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:48:22 -0600, Pav Lucistnik <pav at FreeBSD.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi people,
>>
>> Alexander Wittig provided us with patches to upgrade our Ruby to 1.8.4.
>>
>> Because previous attempt to upgrade to 1.8.3 ended in flames, I want
>> you, people who run ruby apps, to test the patches before I commit them.
>> Find the patches at
>>
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~pav/ruby/
>
> Wish, you could have put all patches into a patch by together for one of
> us can patch in /usr/ports quickly. ;-) Anyway....
>
>> Please test them as much as possible.
>
> I am installing those ruby stuff right now to test on ruby-gnome2-all
>
>> If I don't hear any screaming, they'll hit the tree during weekend.
>>
>> In 1.8.4, there is a different behaviour of site-install target from
>> mkmf generated Makefiles. Most obvious change is that .h files are no
>> longer installed in modules. I hacked mkmf.rb to include install; target
>> in site-install: target as it was in 1.8.2. Any Ruby wizard to tell me
>> how to fix this properly?
>
> Uh-oh, I don't really know but hopeful it won't break on any of
> ruby-gnome2-all build. If it does, then I will trying to work on fix the
> build.

Umm. I am not sure why we need a ruby-glib2.diff? It seems like it does
install those *.h files in here.

=====================================
# ls /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i386-freebsd6 | grep .h
rb_cairo.h*
rbart.h
rbatk.h
rbatkversion.h
rbglib.h
rbgobject.h
rbgtk.h
rbgutil.h
rbpango.h
rbpangoversion.h

# pkg_delete -f ruby18-\*0.14.1\*

# ls /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i386-freebsd6 | grep .h
rb_cairo.h*
rbglib.h
rbgobject.h
rbgutil.h
=====================================

Cheers,
Mezz

>> I'm interested in which ports broke with 1.8.3 back last fall, so I
>> could check them out before committing? Anyone still remember? Kris?
>
> I think it was ruby, oniguruma, FXRuby apps and rubygem-rails. The 1.8.3
> made some changes that many apps don't like, so it's supposed to be
> fixed in 1.8.4.
>
> http://www.rubyonrails.org/down
> We recommend Ruby 1.8.4 for use with Rails. Ruby 1.8.2 is fine too, but
> version 1.8.3 is not.
>
>> Once this is done, I'd like to start phasing out ruby16. Anyone
>> disagree?
>
> Agree, kill it.
>
> Cheers,
> Mezz