New rc.d code merge timing (Was: Re: Portupgrade confused about editors/emacs)

Fernan Aguero fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Mon Jan 9 06:11:51 PST 2006

+----[ Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> (08.Jan.2006 03:51):

| Mike Jakubik wrote:
|
| >I was just curious, didn't mean to imply anything because i didn't
| >notice anything on the lists about this.
|
| Well, I think we've reached a good place here with a civil exchange of
| opinion. I feel compelled to point out that I sent several messages, to
| -stable, -current, and -ports, before the code went into HEAD, after it
| went into HEAD, and before and after it went into RELENG_6. I also sent
| other HEADS UP messages to -ports about issues like cleaning up your
| */etc/rc.d/ directories.
|
| Now I know that it's easy to miss things on the FreeBSD lists, but it's not
| like this one was snuck in. :)

OK, so, when you have time to go over the messages from the
list, there's no problem. However, when you're busy with
other things (most of the time for me. I'm not a sysadmin)
filtering the announcements and HEADS UP from the rest of
the chat can be too much ... I've been unsubscribed from
ports for some time, since I had no spare time, this meant
that to be safe (ie not break anything) I left my boxes
without updates for a long time ... the list of my installed
ports with entries in UPDATING was too long for my available
time.

Proposal: a ports-announce mailing list. This should be a
low-volume list where all HEADS UP of i) upcoming changes,
ii) committed changes are posted. Also, non-HEADS-UP
messages, like the ones that make up UPDATING should go to
the list. Messages could well be cross-posted to ports, so
that everyone gets the announcements. But I guess it could
be a good alternative for people that want just the
anouncements. If someones gets an announcement and wants to
see the discussion that lead to the changes, then s/he can
go to the ports@, stable@ and/or current@ archives.

Of course there's also freebsd-announce@ but this seems more
for security advisories and new release announcements ...
we wouldn't want to pollute that list or do we?

Sounds reasonable?

Fernan