FreeBSD Port: sysutils/smartmontools (more RCng problems)

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Fri Jan 6 16:14:08 PST 2006

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 03:53:21PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> Mike Jakubik wrote:
> >This is yet another port that does not work properly because of the
> >recent RCng commits in 6-STABLE. Smartd does not startup on bootup, it
> >has to be manually started.
>
> Ok, I installed this port and tested it myself, and the problem is the hard
> coded value of smartd_enable at the top of the script. For reasons I don't
> quite understand yet, hard coding the value in the script affects the
> boot-time operation of the script differently than on the command line.

The reason the two cases behave differently is that during boot
the initial call to load_rc_config in /etc/rc causes /etc/rc.conf
to be read and there after the fact that it's read it cached.
/etc/rc.conf.d/"$name" will be read, but I doubt there are many users
of that feature.  The variables need to be set if and only if they are
unset after load_rc_config is run like so:

	load_rc_config ${name}

	foo_enable=${foo_enable-NO}

	run_rc_command "$1"

Someone (mtm IIRC) told me to use the -NO as opposed to the :-NO syntax
because empty, but defined values should not be overridden.  I believe
that is the correct thing to do.

-- Brooks