New /bin/sh based script to manage ports

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Thu Jan 5 10:02:59 PST 2006

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 04:21:19 -0600, Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I've been working on a new script to manage ports. I've put up a web
> page about it at http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/portmaster.html
>
>  From that page:
>
> Does the world really need one more port management tool? Well I'm not
> sure about the world, but I do know that none of the existing options
> worked for me, for a variety of reasons. The two biggest being that I do
> not want to have to install yet another language, and I do not want the
> overhead of a database to manage the information about what ports I have
> installed, etc.
>
> The goals I started with for this project were to use /bin/sh so that
> nothing else would have to be installed for it to work, and to make use
> of the existing data in /var/db/pkg. I now have something that meets
> those goals, and does everything I want it to do, so I'm interested in
> sharing it with the community.
>
> More information, and a link to download the script are on the page.
>
> Comments welcome,

I haven't play with your script yet, but I only read it so far. I think
you should get your script to be able to read in the make.conf (by
include) for PKG_DBDIR, PORTSDIR, DISTDIR and etc in case if someone tweak
it. I think it's more friendly with ports that way.

Something like this:
=========================
PORTSDIR=${PORTSDIR:="/usr/ports"}
PKG_DBDIR=${PKG_DBDIR:="/var/db/pkg"}