multimedia/transcode WITH_GTK configure error

Randy Pratt bsd-unix at comcast.net
Mon Feb 27 11:10:25 PST 2006

(mail to hendrik at scholz.net is bouncing so sending to ports)

I had "WITH_GTK=yes" in /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf but ran into
a library config error:

This is an excerpt of the build log:
Complete log (11M): http://myfreebsd.homeunix.net/transcode_R_build.log
optional package support
IBP                            no
X11                            yes
libmpeg2                       yes
libpostproc                    no
freetype2                      yes
avifile                        yes
lame                           yes
ogg                            yes
vorbis                         yes
theora                         yes
libdvdread                     yes
pvm3                           no
libdv                          yes
libquicktime                   yes
lzo                            yes
a52                            yes
libmpeg3                       no
libxml2                        yes
mjpegtools                     yes
sdl                            yes
gtk                            no
libfame                        yes
imagemagick                    yes
libjpeg                        yes
bsdav                          no
iconv                          yes

ERROR: option '--enable-gtk' failed: cannot link against libgtk
libgtk can be found in the following packages:
  gtk+  http://www.gtk.org/

This is an excerpt from the transcode config.log:
Complete log (170K): http://myfreebsd.homeunix.net/transcode.config.log
configure:41713: checking how to determine GTK_LIBS
configure:41722: result: pkg-config
configure:41762: checking for gtk_init in -lgtk12
configure:41792: cc -o conftest -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
-D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O -pipe
-I/compat/linux/usr/include/divx -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/l
ocal/include -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib
-L/usr/X11R6/lib conftest.c -lgtk12 -lgtk-12 -lgdk-12 -lintl -lXi
-lXext -lX11 -lm -lglib-12 -lm -lz   >& 5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgtk12
configure:41798: $? = 1

I did enough poking around to confuse myself with this option.  The
port Makefile has:
	USE_GNOME=      gtk12
The Makefile has an additional option (which I was using):
	WITH_GTK="yes"
and (oddly) I have dependencies on both versions of gtk:
	# make all-depends-list | grep gtk
	/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk12
	/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk20
At this point I had to walk away for a bit ;-)

Hopefully, the log excerpts will be enough as I didn't want to
spam the list needlessly.

I took the time to run "portupgrade -fR transcode-\*" to make sure
that everthing had been rebuilt after the perl and libtool updates.
Everything built/installed up to the transcode WITH_GTK itself.

Last cvsup was yesterday (Feb 26 20:06 EST) and all other ports
were sucessfully updated.

I temporarily removed the "WITH_GTK=yes" from pkgtools.conf and
transcode sucessfully updated.  At this point, I wasn't even sure why I
needed the option since it seemed to pick up both versions of gtk.
Anyone got any pointers on what this could gain me?

I can provide any information or testing if it would help.  Just
say the word.

Best regards,

Randy