portupgrade of mod_php4 with Apache 2

Mike Brown mike at skew.org
Wed Feb 22 11:03:10 PST 2006

Running portupgrade -i -a -P, I got some strange results when it got to
mod_php4 today.  I have Apache 2.0.55_2 installed (portupgrade updated it from
a slightly less recent version), but the mod_php4 package and port are both
now insisting on installing Apache 1.3.

After portupgrade ran, I went ahead and deinstalled apache13 and mod_php4 and
am now trying to get mod_php4 reinstalled properly. I figured I could just
cd /usr/ports/www/mod_php4; make
but as I said, it tries to depend on Apache 1.3.

I found an "APACHE_VERSION > 13" check in the php4 port, so I tried setting
APACHE_VERSION=20 in /etc/make.conf, which had no effect (why?!). So I tried
setting it on the command line, and that seemed to work, although now it's
building Apache 2.0.55_3 from sources whereas I would've much rather just used
the 2.0.55_2 package that is already installed.

Is something out of sync with the Apache and PHP ports? I never needed this
APACHE_VERSION before, and I don't understand why I have to put it on the
command line.

Is there a way to make portupgrade do the right thing when upgrading mod_php4?
I had no problem with it the last time I ran it (well, except that it hosed
my MediaWiki installation, but that's another matter entirely).