please check your ports, pre-install vs pre-su-install

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 14 17:48:18 PST 2006

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> just noticed (by running 'make install' as non-root
> for some ports) that there are many ports in the tree
> use 'pre-install' to perform actions (such as creating
> directories etc) that actually require root permissions,
> and for which i recently learned there is a pre-su-install
> target.

IMO that's exactly the kind of thing that port authors should not have to
worry about. Our infrastructure gets more complex every day, and I'm sorry
to say, sometimes without good reason. I think this is one of those times.

Doug