portmaster [was: New /bin/sh based script to manage ports]

Hans Lambermont hans at lambermont.dyndns.org
Tue Feb 14 13:35:29 PST 2006

Doug Barton wrote:

> I've been working on a new script to manage ports. I've put up a web
> page about it at http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/portmaster.html
> Comments welcome,

You asked for it ;-)

- Read in /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf, use HOLD_PKGS, ALT_PKGDEP,
  MAKE_ARGS, BEFOREDEINSTALL, AFTERINSTALL
  This makes is far easier for users to switch from portupgrade to
  portmaster.

- New option to 'make config' on all target ports before starting the
  first build.
  This should make it possible to have large uninterrupted builds.

- New option for -l : draw a dependency graph of the entire build order.

- New option to show what would be done and in what order, a.k.a. 'dryrun'.

And minor :

- New option to echo portmaster script version.

- Add http://dougbarton.us/portmaster.html url to usage().

Oh, and thanks for writing portmaster :) Keep up the good work.

Any plans for a sysutils/portmaster port ?

regards,
   Hans Lambermont