Port installation without root access

Frank J. Laszlo laszlof at vonostingroup.com
Mon Feb 13 14:09:30 PST 2006

    This has been on my TODO list for quite some time now, and I havent
really gotten around to actually implementing it. As it stands right
now, I have a script that allows normal users to build/install ports
with some environment trickery and a few hacks. I'd like to integrate
this into the ports system. so it would be as simple as a user
specifying a particular variable in their environment, NOROOT_BUILD, or
something along those lines, as well as other user specified variables
to allow full installation without root access.
    Normal users would be able to maintain their own package database,
and their own upgrades locally. Obviously we do not want to give normal
users access to ALL the ports, so i propose adding functionality to
allow the system admin to customize what the normal users have access
to. Such as a config file that says which ports they can and cannot
install, or whether to allow normal user installations at all.
    At this point im just probing for interest, and hoping to recruit a
couple port guru's to give me a hand with some of the details. :)

Regards,
    Frank