Maintaining Ports

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 12:06:32 PST 2006

On 2/7/06, Joe Holden <joe at joeholden.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello, how would I go about maintaining a port, I'm not currently a
> committer, however am interested in becoming one.  What is the process
> required?

You don't need to be a commiter to maintain a port.  When you maintain
a port you become a maintainer.

To maintain a port, you need to keep a copy of the previous version of
the port by:

 - Using a local copy of the cvs repository
 - coping the port to a new directory (cp -rp current current-orig)

Next you modify the ports files, and create a diff:

 - cvs -q diff -uN > patch.diff
 - cd .. ; diff -ruN current-orig current > patch.diff

Finaly you use send-pr to fill out the required fields (set Category
to ports, ...), and submit the changes to the freebsd Bug tracker.

   send-pr -a patch.diff

Also, if your the maintainer of the port set the Class field to
'maintainer-update'.

Now if you really want to become a ports commiter, you will need to
ask portmgr for the task.  You will then be responsible for commiting
changes to your own ports.  You will also have the ability to commit
port changes from other maintainers.

Scot
--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.