FreeBSD Port: bacula-server-1.38.5_1 rc scripts

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 6 13:04:25 PST 2006

Trix Farrar wrote:
>>> I presume that this file is in PREFIX/etc, not etc/rc.d, is that
>>> right? Only the scripts themselves should be in the rc.d directory.
>>>

> Yes, for production, that would be the case.  The scripts I have
> submitted are, admittedly, at the "proof of concept" stage.  Ad the
> scripts don't know where they might be running from at this point,
> they look for their subroutines in the directory the script was
> executed from.
>
> If they were to be included in the port, yes, they would be patched to
> look for their subroutines in $PREFIX/etc, as you suggest.

Great, thanks.

>>> That leads to an interesting question. Should we add support for a
>>> local rc.conf.d directory? Very few services use this directory now,
>>> so I've hesitated to tweak it, but theoretically support would be
>>> easy to add, and would provide an easier way to set defaults for
>>> more complex scripts (as you already know).
>>>

> You mean it's not there already?  Honestly, I haven't looked.  I just
> kind of assumed it would be there.  Then again, I haven't used
> /etc/rc.conf.d, either.  I coded it into the script in an effort to be
> functionally complete; in line with how everything else works.

Well, I think I'm confused about something then. If you are saying that you
wrote something special in your script to make sure that it supports
/etc/rc.conf.d/bacula, you don't need to do that, /etc/rc.subr takes care of
that for you if the user makes that choice.

As for lack of support for <local>/etc/rc.conf.d, it's not there now, but I
don't know of any ports that use /etc/rc.conf.d now (nothing in the base
uses it). Your message got me to thinking that adding support for this might
be a cleaner way to allow ports to set defaults, clean up after themselves,
etc.

Doug