www/libwww and SSL

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Sun Dec 31 10:19:03 PST 2006

--On December 30, 2006 10:43:07 PM -0800 Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org>
wrote:

> Paul Schmehl wrote:
>
>> What I want isn't really relevant.  I'm simply suggesting that updating
>> the port to include an OPTION for with_ssl seems unnecessary *unless*
>> someone is going to port sipX.  Have you looked at sipX?  Porting it
>> would not be simple, and I wonder how much demand there would be.  In
>> any case, *unless* sipX gets ported, it doesn't make sense to me to
>> update www/libwww simply to enable an option no one has asked for until
>> now.
>
> OTOH, what harm does it cause?

That depends on how the port is patched.  If with_ssl is included in every
build, it's hard to say.  There may be many unintended consequences.  If
with_ssl is included as an OPTION, then when the port is built it will
require someone to be at the console (or an entry in /etc/make.conf.)

In either case it's a change, and changes should be thought through and
tested carefully, *especially* when they're being done to solve one
discrete problem rather than adding general functionality that is required
for many things.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas