www/libwww and SSL

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Fri Dec 29 12:31:08 PST 2006

--On December 29, 2006 11:09:54 AM -0800 Jeremy Chadwick
<koitsu at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> The current maintainer of this port is... no one!  :-)  Which means,
> if you could submit a patch, that'd be great.
>
> Keep in mind that the change involved will require more than just a
> simple Makefile tweak.  You will also need to update pkg-plist to
> keep track of the extra libraries installed, any extra documentation,
> or utilities as a result of --with-ssl.  Since there's a shared
> library involved, you should also use USE_LDCONFIG=yes to update
> the ld.so cache.

Is a patch really necessary?  The port was created in 1996.  There's been
no further development of the software since 12 Jun, 2002.  This is
apparently the first time someone has even noticed the lack of an option
to include a make arg for ssl.  It seems that a one-off request is hardly
reason to update the port.

If someone wants to port sipX, then libwww would have to be built with
ssl, but I doubt that should be the default anyway.  If it should, it
would certainly take some testing to see what effect it had all the other
ports for which it is a dependency (which is quite a few, I believe.)

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/