www/libwww and SSL

Mike Durian durian at shadetreesoftware.com
Fri Dec 29 10:16:54 PST 2006

I'm trying to build sipX (http://www.sipfoundry.org/sipX) under FreeBSD.
Things are going smoothly, albeit slowly, for the most part, though I
have just run into one problem related to the www/libwww port.

One of the sipX components wants to link againt libwwwssl.so.  I believe
libwwwssl should come from the www/libwww port, but the port does not
enable this by default.  Nor does there appear to be a configuration
knob that will enable it.  I haven't been able to find an alternate
port that builds libwwwssl either (though maybe I didn't look hard
enough).

I can enable it myself by adding --with-ssl to CONFIGURE_ARGS, but I'm
wondering if that is a good thing to do.  Is www/libwww built without
SSL support for a reason (security, buggy, etc.), or is it just an
oversight?  If it is an oversight, should --with-ssl become part
of the default configure args for www/libwww?  Or at least have a
knob added to the Makefile?

Also, if anyone is interested in making a port out of sipX, I would
be glad to share my notes and patches.  I'm just building it to test
some SIP stuff and I'm not willing to commit to supporting the port
myself, but I would be glad to assist anyone who is.

Thanks,
mike