How to construct this port?

Ion-Mihai IOnut Tetcu itetcu at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 28 10:33:15 PST 2006

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 12:53:34 -0500
Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:

 [ ... ]

> However, sometimes mail systems go down or block traffic for whatever
> reason: postmaster's job is a thankless task, and this was true even
> before spam and viral email appeared.  Nowadays, it's harder to get
> things mostly right (nevermind "perfect"), so postmasters make
> imperfect decisions because they are faced with undesirable tradeoffs.

Indeed :-(

However banning a hole country isn't a tradeoff in my book, it's just
plain [inset_the_word_here]. And sine it's giving a 5XX code there's
really no way to reach the person in question.

> It has not been my observation that insisting people not make any
> mistakes commonly results in fewer mistakes being made, or much less,
> in zero mistakes being made.  :-)  Rather than try to insist they
> "are not allowed" to do something, I'd prefer to let people make
> their own decisions and learn which ones are mistakes.  YMMV....

The problem is that, IMHO, this kind of rejecting affects us all as I
think that being a port maintainer implies receiving and replying to
users' email.

I don't use any of the ports maintainer by Nils so I could not care,
but I think it's my responsibility as commiter to point out that this
is a mistake.

Fascinating, a totally parochial attitude.
		-- Spock, "Metamorphosis", stardate 3219.8