${TARGLIB} in gcc34 and gcc41 ports

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at pfeifer.com
Wed Dec 27 15:28:00 PST 2006

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> I've installed lang/gcc34 and lang/gcc41 and I looked for libgcc.
> I found:
>
> lang/gcc34: TARGLIB=${PREFIX}/lib/gcc/${CONFIGURE_TARGET}/${PORTVERSION}
> lang/gcc41: TARGLIB=${PREFIX}/lib/gcc-${PORTVERSION}
>
> Is there a reason for such incoherency between those two ports ?

Yes, a simple one. ;-)  I made the simplification to the lang/gcc4x
ports only a few months ago (mid-July) at which point the lang/gcc3x
were already in deep maintenance mode after upstream has abandoned
these for a while.

To be on the safe side, I am generally cautious which changes to the
lang/gcc3x ports these days and thus did not apply these changes there
as well because they do not really seem to be too important.  If you
look at lang/gcc33 and lang/34, you'll see that we got increasingly
conservative with these two.

> Additionally, I would like to change LIBCFLAGS during GCC bootstrap
> but I don't really understand what to change in the port's Makefile to
> achieve this (I would like to add a compilation flag for libgcc).
> May you provide my any clue about this please ?

I put a bit of documentation related to this into the upstream GCC
installation documentation (see http://gcc.gnu.org/install/build.html
for example, search for CFLAGS).

In the context of the FreeBSD Ports Collection, I believe adding the
appropriate settings to the MAKE_ENV in lang/gccXY/Makefile should work.

Hope this helps,
Gerald
--
Gerald (Jerry) Pfeifer   gerald at pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/