is it safe to upgrade ruby18?

Parv parv at pair.com
Sat Dec 23 23:48:55 PST 2006

in message <20061224031147.GF756 at pubbox.net>,
wrote Armin Arh thusly...

> On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 08:21:22PM -0600, Scott Bennett wrote:
> >      The portmanager program wants to upgrade ruby18.  Is is safe to
> > let it?  I made the mistake of trying to do a "portupgrade ruby18" under
> good question.
> As ruby is crucial to the portmanager special care should be taken.

Ruby is CRUCIAL for things portupgrade but not portmanager.  For the
latter a C compiler, make, etc. is needed, which FreeBSD already
provides.  portmanager OPTIONALLY needs ruby to convert
pkgtools.conf (portupgrade) to its configuration format (by way of
running pkgtools-to-portmanager.rb).

> Good luck there are almost no dependencies for ruby itself:

Indeed, unlike python or the pig that is gnome.

  - Parv