is it safe to upgrade ruby18?

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Sat Dec 23 18:22:07 PST 2006

     The portmanager program wants to upgrade ruby18.  Is is safe to
let it?  I made the mistake of trying to do a "portupgrade ruby18" under
FreeBSD 5.3.  ruby18 never worked again.  That meant none of the pkg* or
port* commands ever worked again either.  When I updated the system to
FreeBSD 5.4, the problem wasn't fixed.  So when I moved to FreeBSD 6.1,
I didn't upgrade/update, but instead did a fresh installation with all
the headaches of having to configure things all over again.  I don't
want to repeat that experience with ruby18, which is why I'm asking now
whether it is safe to let portmanager update it.
     Meanwhile, I've encountered a problem with a couple of ports/packages
that is affecting my ability to get portinstall, portupgrade, and
pormanager to function properly.  I get error messages complaining that
glitz-0.5.6 and python-2.4.3.1 have "no origin recorded".  How can I fix
this?  I can't seem to do a pkg_delete on these, nor a "make deinstall;
make reinstall" sequence on them, either.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG