FreeBSD Port: net-mgmt/nagios (not using a registered UID/GID?)

Jarrod Sayers jarrod at netleader.com.au
Thu Dec 21 05:51:36 PST 2006

On 21/12/2006, at 10:31 PM, Peter Losher wrote:
> Is there any reason why the nagios user/group isn't using a
> standardized
> UID/GID from /usr/ports/{U,G}IDs these days?  It's been best practice
> for port maintainers some time to do this, and it's biting me in the
> arse at the moment as I roll out nagios2 (and nrpe2).
>
> I don't wan't to pick a a number that will a) be used by a future
> registration or b) a large number that adduser will work around.
>
> And count me as another person who would like to see the nrpe2 port
> check for the nagios user/group and add them to the system if needed.
> Seeing a process run as user -1 is just wrong... :(

Port Hat wearers,

I am in the process of setting consistent [UG]ID's for the nagios
related ports (being reminded by Peter that is) and it has been
pointed out that NRPE2 (net-mgmt/nrpe2) is now maintainer'less.
Being the maintainer of both nagios and nagios-plugins, I would be
more than happy to take on maintainer'ship of this port and mold it
into a seamless extension of the Nagios suite.  If your happy with
the idea, the email address used here or on the ports is fine.

Cheers.

Jarrod.