missing pkg-descr still happening

Raphael H. Becker rabe at p-i-n.com
Tue Dec 19 11:50:04 PST 2006

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 08:37:40PM -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 10:24:19PM -0600, Wayne M. Barnes wrote:
> > Dear FreeBSD,
> > {snip}
>
> Things to check:
>
> * /etc/make.conf -- you may have some variables defined in there
>   which are breaking things.
> * Make sure you're not setting MASTERDIR or PKGDIR or DESCR
>   anywhere.

Setting PKGDIR is evil!

>From pkg_add(1):

[...]
     -K      Keep any downloaded package in PKGDIR if it is defined or in cur-
             rent directory by default.
[...]
     The environment variable PKGDIR specifies an alternative location to save
     downloaded packages to when -K option is used.
[...]

For me it reads like "set PKGDIR in /etc/profile to have a local cache
for fetched packages". This is still a bug since 1.66.2.2 of pkg_add(1)

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/usr.sbin/pkg_install/add/pkg_add.1?only_with_tag=RELENG_6

Regards
Raphael Becker