6.2 Ports Work Well

Jason C. Wells jcw at highperformance.net
Thu Dec 14 20:46:12 PST 2006

I would like to thank the ports team for a good job with the RELEASE_6_2
ports tree.  I was able to compile all of KDE and all of Gnome with
minimal fuss.  The last time I built this stuff I had problems with a
variety of dependency issues.

I did have a slight bit of fuss building packages recursively.  The key
difficulty was that the some builds would detect installed libraries and
complete successfully. (as they should)  The build of several package
tarballs would fail because a certain file in the packing list wasn't
found.  I am pretty sure this was because the installed port wasn't the
same version as the one in the ports tree.  After the first couple of
these errors I did an unconditional deinstall of the ports "world" (my
build machine was pretty crufty anyway, having much leftover stuff from
4X days even) and was able to build gnome and KDE and all tarballs
without complaint.  That's a pretty significant accomplishment from
where I sit.  Thanks!

Portupgrade and friends are able to do a monumental task with some
sensibility and grace.  I can imagine how hard it is to get a build done
on a chunk of software as large as say Windows done when everyone is
working for the same organization, using the same tools, languages,
compilers and so forth.  I have friends up here who vanish when it's
build time in Redmond.

That the ports crew pulls all the diversity of open source together in a
fairly well integrated system is commendable.

Later,
Jason C. Wells