HEADS UP : security/gnupg will be upgraded to 2.0.1

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 12 12:32:42 PST 2006

Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 05:46:50PM +0900, Jun Kuriyama wrote:
>> At Mon, 11 Dec 2006 23:43:48 -0800,
>> Doug Barton wrote:
>>> If this is your plan, it leads me to the next question, which is how
>>> are you going to handle the fact that GnuPG 2.x does not install a
>>> binary named "gpg?" Will you install a symlink if gnupg1 is not
>>> installed? And if so, will it CONFLICT with that port? If we are going
>>> to suggest to users that 2.x is the default, I think we need to
>>> provide support for those legacy(?) apps that think gnupg is spelled gpg.
>> Yes, that's my difficult decision in this upgrade.  I understand you
>> care about existing users not to violate POLA, but I basically choose
>> this way for new users. :-(
>>
>> If "gpg" binary consumer is ports-installed one and have explicit
>> dependency on its Makefile, "portupgrade -R gnupg" will install
>> security/gnupg *AND* security/gnupg1.  But if is is not from ports,
>> just only users from command line or have implicit dependency (like
>> mail/mailcrypt which I'm using), only "gpg2" binary is exist after
>> portupgrade.
>>
>> I have no clue about last problem for now (only pkg-message or
>> UPDATING).  This maybe critical for casual portupgrade users.
>
> Err... I wonder...  How about repo-copying (or rather, repo-moving)
> the current security/gnupg to security/gnupg1, and creating a new
> security/gnupg meta-port with runtime dependencies on *both* gnupg1 and
> gnupg2?

In my mind this is overkill, since the gpg2 binary provides exactly
the same functionality as the gpg binary. I don't see any reason to
install them both.

What might make sense is for the gnupg 2.x port to install a gpg
symlink to gpg2. I've done that on my own system for convenience sake.
That will get hairy if the user tries to install gnupg 1.x though.
Both gnupg ports will need logic to handle what to do with the symlink
if the other port is installed.

Doug