sysutils/xbattbar for !i386

Rong-En Fan rafan at freebsd.org
Tue Dec 12 04:15:27 PST 2006

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 02:57:12AM -0600, Scot Hetzel wrote:
> On 12/12/06, Scot Hetzel <swhetzel at gmail.com> wrote:
> >On 12/12/06, Rong-En Fan <rafan at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >> Recently, I installed a FreeBSD/amd64 laptop. I found this port
> >> uses apm (i386 only) interface to get battery information. The
> >> patch below changes it to use sysctl(3). Thus, it is usable on
> >> amd64.
> >>
> >> http://people.freebsd.org/~rafan/xbattbar.diff
> >>
> >> It works on my ThinkPad X60 (-CURRENT). If you are running this
> >> port, please have a test.
> >>
> >Works on my HP dv8135nr (-CURRENT) system.
> >
> I have updated the patch so that it can be compiled for systems that
> have either an APM or ACPI interface for battery status.
>
> The Makefile has been changed to always use the ACPI interface when
> not being built on the i386 arch (i.e. amd64, ...).  On the i386 arch
> it defaults to ACPI, but can be changed via the options menu to use
> APM.

The way you handle OPTIONS is incorrect. See Porter's Handbook and/or
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-ports/2006-May/093088.html
for details.

As for APM/ACPI knob, I think APM is necessary on 4.x. Not sure
about 5.x status. If acpi on 5.x is usable, I suggest we just
use acpi and use apm on 4.x i386 only?

Regards,
Rong-En Fan