failure of policy

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Mon Dec 11 08:23:10 PST 2006

It seems that the change log on freshports for the databases/slony1
port shows that someone somewhere is confused as to who's the
maintainer of the port. The Makefile clearly shows it is still me.

On 23 Nov 2006, an update was issued to upgrade the 1.1.5 version to
1.2.0 which had known errors in it which cause data loss.  Somehow it
was applied.  A few days later a manual patch was added to work
around that.  The initial update indicates that whomever submitted
the port was either claiming to be or was assumed to be the maintainer.

Then on 8 Dec 2006, another update was issued and applied, to 1.2.1.

Today I saw in my email a patch to correct some error in the pkg-
plist file, which is how I noticed that someone had updated the
slony1 port.

This is not how it is supposed to work.  I should have gotten these
notices on *every* PR submitted with a patch against this port.
There is no reason that 1.2.0 should have *ever* hit the ports tree
as it was broken out of the gate.  This is one of the reason ports
have maintainers: to ensure broken things don't get thrown into the
collection.

If the committers are not going to follow the rules, then why should
anyone bother to be a maintainer?