rsync as a daemon doesn't play nice with rcng

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Fri Dec 1 08:19:02 PST 2006

On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 08:27:56AM -0500, Bill Moran wrote:
> It's odd that there's no command line switch that corresponds.  I copied
> the rsyncd.conf file from an older system, and didn't look at the sample
> until you pointed it out.  It would be nice if this could be specified
> on the command line, so it could be a default option set in the rc
> script.
>
> Perfect world vs. nearly perfect world ...

Consider submitting a bug report to the rsync authors requesting it:

http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/bugzilla.html

I agree that pidfile specification via argv would be useful, but
at the same time, rsync has (IMHO) too many command-line options.
It makes for an incredibly ugly usage page, makes sifting through
the rsync(1) manpage painful, and probably results in quite a mess
of code in whatever parses argv.

A great example is postgrey; here's our rc.conf entry, which
makes me grumble every time I vi rc.conf:

postgrey_flags="--pidfile=/var/run/postgrey.pid --inet=10023 -d --user=postgrey --group=postgrey --dbdir=/var/db/postgrey --delay=180 --hostname=mx01.sc1.parodius.com --whitelist-clients=/conf/ME/postfix/postgrey_whitelist_clients --whitelist-recipients=/conf/ME/postfix/postgrey_whitelist_recipients"

A configuration file is really where options/tweaks for daemonised
things should be kept, with the only command-line arguments supported
being very basic things, such as where the configuration file is
(ex. -c /foo/bar.conf).  :-)

| Making life hard for others since 1977.               PGP: 4BD6C0CB |