BSD.local.dist - share/locale

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 25 05:24:20 UTC 2006

On 8/25/06, Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:50:52 -0500, Andrew Pantyukhin
> <infofarmer at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > On 8/24/06, Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net> wrote:

> >> I think the current how we handle locale is a bit silly, so I personal
> >> in
> >> favor of create localehier like misc/gnomehier than four suggested
> >> below..
> >> Honestly, I would be more rather to put mtree that is for ports in
> >> somewhere of /usr/ports/ than /etc/mtree/ that way any version of
> >> FreeBSD
> >> won't have any of left over directories problem.
> >
> > It's a good idea, but we're back at the second question -
> > what if someone fancies to pkg_delete -xf gnomehier?
> > There will be no way to get a clean system after that
> > other than by reinstalling gnomehier and deleting it after
> > all the ports requiring it.
>
> Why would someone want to delete it when it is need? Same things with why
> would someone delete library when apps need it? I think it's not our
> problem as I haven't seen anyone do that with gnomehier.

Okay, another example. Like Stanislav said, imagine you've
installed gnomehier into PREFIX=A and now you're installing
gfoo into PREFIX=B (A!=B). How will gnomehier ensure that
when both gfoo and gnomehier are deinstalled, nothing is left
behind?