inconsistency in portmaster's stale distfile handling

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 24 20:57:08 UTC 2006

Rene Ladan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I decided to give portmaster a try to get rid of ${PORTSDIR}/INDEX*db
> and /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db.  It works quite nice, but IMO there is a
> inconsistency in the -d option:
>
> after vim got updated from 7.0.x to 7.0.66, portmaster -a -d deleted
> vim/vim-6.4.tar.bz2 (which is still an up-to-date distfile for vim6, but
> older than vim/vim-7.0.tar.bz2), but not vim/6.4.*
>
> I don't have vim6 installed, so the -d option should either not delete
> vim-6.4.tar.bz2 or remove all of vim6's distfiles, including vim/6.4.*
> If someone has both vim6 and vim7 installed, would portmaster -d also
> delete vim-6.4.tar.bz2 ?

Yes. The stale file algorithm is very aggressive, and tries to find as many
matches as possible that could reasonably be a distfile for that package. If
you regularly run into situations where -d deletes too many files, you can
run portmaster without it and it will prompt you for whether to delete the
files or not.

hth,

Doug