DESTDIR implementation [Was:: ATTENTION: is the way DESTDIR was introduced completely wrong?]

Gábor Kövesdán gabor at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 23 19:44:47 UTC 2006

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 12:37:50PM -0600, John E Hein wrote:
>

>> The hard part is to get ports writers to think the right way about
>> DESTDIR after ignoring it for so many years.  And once you decide to
>> go about fixing it, there's no way around that problem.
>>

> My preferred solution involves a couple of shell commands, along the
> lines of the following:
>
> mount_nullfs ${PORTSDIR} ${DESTDIR}${PORTSDIR}
> mount_nullfs ${WRKDIR} ${DESTDIR}${WRKDIR}
> mount_devfs foo ${DESTDIR}/dev
> chroot ${DESTDIR} cd ${.CURDIR} && make install
>
> A suitable version of the above should allow all ports to be installed
> into a jail-ready filesystem hierarchy, while requiring 0 port
> changes.
>
> Kris

Ok, I think it's time to follow this way, but have to make some parts
clearer. For your last line, it should be

chroot ${DESTDIR} cd ${.CURDIR} && make ${.TARGETDIR}

since we want to run all targets chrooted. We could put this part into
an .if defined(DESTDIR) block before the targets, but I don't know how
to prevent running the further code, since we don't want to reach
do-install in the host environment, but only in the chroot. I think of
exit 0, if that's correct, or what else is better.
So, what I mean:

.if defined(DESTDIR)
.BEGIN   # We need this if not in a target
    ${MOUNT_NULLFS} ${PORTSDIR} ${DESTDIR}${PORTSDIR}
    ${MOUNT_NULLFS} ${WRKDIR} ${DESTDIR}${WRKDIR}
    ${MOUNT_DEVFS} foo ${DESTDIR}/dev
    ${CHROOT} ${DESTDIR} cd ${.CURDIR} && ${MAKE} ${.TARGETDIR}
    exit 0
.endif

The new variables I used should be overrideable, if someone would like
to use some kind of script or so.

The another issue I find is how we can pass variables to the chrooted
make. E.g. if we want to set WITH_FOO in command line or in make.conf.
And note, that we can't just pass everything, since DESTDIR should be
unset in the chroot, otherwise we would run into infinite loop and it
would fail due to the non-existent directories.

--
Cheers,

Gabor