A section on gettext for the Porter's Handbook

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 21 19:21:47 UTC 2006

Yar Tikhiy píše v po 21. 08. 2006 v 11:10 +0400:

> Hi all,
>
> I hoped I had learned something about using gettext in ports,
> and felt I should write down a summary.  Here's what came out
> of that -- a proposed section for the Porter's Handbook.  Its
> HTML rendering is available there:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~yar/porters-handbook/using-gettext.html
>
> Remarks and corrections are welcome.  Thanks!

Not entirely convinced the section is needed at all. Anyway, here is
some constructive criticism:

1) Passing just LDFLAGS is not enough, you need also to pass
complementary header paths in CPPFLAGS:

CONFIGURE_ENV=  CPPFLAGS="-I${LOCALBASE}/include" \
                LDFLAGS="-L${LOCALBASE}/lib"

Also mention that this is only to be used when the configure script
can't find it's whereabouts without it. We don't need this in every
single Makefile -- ie. clutter.

Nits:

- I would drop the whole discussion about shlibver arguments to
  USE_GETTEXT. Just draws misuse.
- why GNU configure, GNU gettext? configure, gettext is just fine.
  Check the rest of the document and follow the style.

Otherwise it's acceptable, maybe the language is a bit too informal to
match the rest of the document, but whatever. Thanks!

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>

Oh, no! Aaargh! It is the most unnatural, most disgusting
creature imaginable: a two-eyed cyclops!