Enforcing "DIST_SUBDIR/DISTFILE" uniqueness

Roman Bogorodskiy novel at FreeBSD.org
Sun Aug 20 09:19:04 UTC 2006

  Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:

> I'd like to propose a policy to enforce a change in
> DIST_SUBDIR whenever a distfile is rerolled in-place, i.e.
> when checksum changes, but name stays unchanged.
>
> Moreover, effort should be made whenever possible to
> make the old file available for download from an
> alternative location.
>
> This policy will rid us of some fetch-related headaches.
> It also will make it possible to share distfiles between
> hosts with ports trees of different dates. Some rare issues
> might also be resolved as a result of this. For one, ftp
> mirrors could be configured to allow upload, but deny
> modification and/or deletion.
>
> One thing I would personally frown upon is using
> something like "fetch -o othername" to save a file with a
> different name. It looks all right, but it prevents us from
> looking for mirrors in an automated way when master
> sites go down.

I have some questions.
What are you going to do with port already using DIST_SUBDIR (like e.g.
gnome related ports)? Would not it pollute distdir with lots of outdated
dirs/files? How are you going to deal with cases when re-rolled tarball
brings some security risk? Would not it break scripts/apps cleaning
DISTDIR?

In my eyes, you're using BFG to shot bees.

Roman Bogorodskiy