DESTDIR implementation [Was:: ATTENTION: is the way DESTDIR was introduced completely wrong?]

Gábor Kövesdán gabor at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 16 17:55:43 UTC 2006

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 12:37:50PM -0600, John E Hein wrote:
>

>> The hard part is to get ports writers to think the right way about
>> DESTDIR after ignoring it for so many years.  And once you decide to
>> go about fixing it, there's no way around that problem.
>>

> My preferred solution involves a couple of shell commands, along the
> lines of the following:
>
> mount_nullfs ${PORTSDIR} ${DESTDIR}${PORTSDIR}
> mount_nullfs ${WRKDIR} ${DESTDIR}${WRKDIR}
> mount_devfs foo ${DESTDIR}/dev
> chroot ${DESTDIR} cd ${.CURDIR} && make install
>
> A suitable version of the above should allow all ports to be installed
> into a jail-ready filesystem hierarchy, while requiring 0 port
> changes.
>
> Kris

This makes sense, but I did not succeed to use mount_nullfs on an
5.3-RELEASE/amd64 machine, while the same worked well on my 6.1/i386
computer, so I'm not sure mount_nullfs is reliable enough on older systems.
Also, other targets should be supported as well, and the nullmounted
directory should be umounted after he run. Anyway, I find this solution
very good, if we can work this out a bit better, my progress so far
would become pointless...

--
Cheers,

Gabor