gtk file chooser weirdness in linux-firefox

Stanislav Sedov ssedov at mbsd.msk.ru
Tue Aug 15 15:20:24 UTC 2006

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:47:31 +0200
Alexander Konovalenko <kono at kth.se> mentioned:

> Hi!
>
> For a long time I am experiencing weird problem when trying to choose file
> from File->Open_File or when I want to change "download action/helper
> application" in the preferences. The problem is that GTK file chooser does
> not list all files in the selected directory.
>
> Check it out here: http://daemon.nanophys.kth.se/~kono/buggy_file_chooser.png
>
>  So some GTK library want to convince me that in /usr/X11R6/bin folder there
> are only three files? there are 539!
>
> I tried to right-click and activate hidden files in the chooser, tried from
> the root account, no luck.
>
> Any suggestions?

That's because Linux apps access files rooted in /compat/linux first,
and only falls back if file isn't found. So firefox merely lists
contents of /compat/linux/usr/X11R6, not /usr/X11R6.

> Currently I don't use freebsd natively build firefox because it's unstable.

I'm using it permanetly without any problem. What exactly you are
experiencing?

--
Stanislav Sedov         MBSD labs, Inc.         <ssedov at mbsd.msk.ru>
Россия, Москва         http://mbsd.msk.ru

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.  -- A. Einstein
PGP fingerprint:  F21E D6CC 5626 9609 6CE2  A385 2BF5 5993 EB26 9581