ATTENTION: is the way DESTDIR was introduced completely wrong?

Gábor Kövesdán gabor at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 15 09:39:38 UTC 2006

Sergey Matveychuk wrote:
> Dmitry Marakasov wrote:
>
>> What I propose is:
>> - Change variable naming scheme.
>> All *BASE and *DIR vars should be reverted to their original meanings
>> (i.e. local paths). Instead, INSTALL_ vars should be introduced:
>> INSTALL_LOCALBASE=${DESTDIR}/${LOCALBASE}
>> INSTALL_X11BASE=${DESTDIR}/${X11BASE}
>> INSTALL_PREFIX=${DESTDIR}/${PREFIX}
>> INSTALL_DATADIR=${DESTDIR}/${DATADIR}
>>
>> etc. These should be used in do-install target.
>>
>> * This is far more clean and understandable,
>> * This allows us to make all ports (around 5k) that define do-install target
>>   DESTDIR-compatible (there still may be issues, but nevertheless).
>>

> I agree with every your word.

I was to implement it in this way, but as I said this would require us
to change all of the *_DEPENDS lines. Erwin told me that this can't be
happen, so I was pushed to go the another way. Erwin is in portmgr, and
portmgr's word make sense in these questions...

>> - Introduce variable DESTDIR_COMPATIBLE to explititely mark
>>   DESTDIR-compatible ports.
>> * I don't think DESTDIR compatibility can be tested automatically, so
>>   this would make freebsd user's life easier (user will be sure that after he
>>   installs ports into [jail|other freebsd installation mounted via
>>   nfs|locally] being set corresponging DESTDIR, nothing will break).
>>   Without such variable, he'll never be sure.
>> * Port maintainers will know what ports still are to be converted.
>>   Nothing will be forgotten.
>>

> This is exactly I proposed. But I've not been heard.

You have been, but this will happen later, after an -exp run as Erwin
said. And in the opposite form. Ports that don't respect DESTDIR will be
marked.

--
Cheers,

Gabor