Skipping certain ports, no upgrade of installed packages ...

Randy Pratt bsd-unix at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 13 13:11:24 UTC 2006

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 13:33:19 +0200
Rene Ladan <r.c.ladan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Kiffin Gish schreef:

> >> .if ${.CURDIR:M/usr/ports/category/port}
> >> IGNORE=	not wanted
> >> .endif
> >>
> >> This will keep the ports system from building them. But you will have to
> >> edit dependant ports Makefiles. I'm doing that for arts and have to edit
> >> the kdelibs Makefile every time kdelibs gets updated.
> >
> > The only problem with that approach is that every time I run cvsup the
> > modified makefiles are overwritten.
> >
> > Can also just delete the dependencies line containing galeon for
> > example, but overwritten by next cvsup.
> >
> You can also try portsnap, which only overwrites ports which have been
> changed by a commit.

I'm not sure that is true for portsnap under all conditions.  From
the portsnap man page:

  extract   Extract a ports tree, replacing existing files and
            directories.  NOTE: This will remove anything occupying
            the location where files or directories are being
            extracted; in particular, any changes made locally to
            ports tree (for example, adding new patches) will be
            silently obliterated.

The conventional tool, portupgrade, uses /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf
to HOLD a package (not upgrade).  The pkgtools.conf.sample file is
well annotated and has many other available options.

Take a look at that and see if it will do the job.

HTH,

Randy