automatic override of individual set paths in ports

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.uni-mainz.de
Sat Aug 12 09:39:05 UTC 2006

Hello.

On our lab's and my private FreeBSD box I installed several
applications, in particular php-5.1.4, apache 2.2.3 and MySQL 5.0.24, in
separate directories targeting to separate software partitions. MySQL is
installed via ports-collection, but I always must change PREFIX  and the
DATABASEDIR manually to point to the right directory. PHP and Apache is
installed by meself without ports support.

Keeping track on updates and security issues I would like to use the
portupgrade facilities, but everytime I fetch an update or new version,
my once setup prefixes and directory settings get lost and I need to do
this by hand again (concerns MySQL). This prevents me installing and
updating things automatically and this bothers me.

The point is that I do not want some specific ports in the regular
/usr/local pathways, especially MySQL, PHP and Apache. I need separate
pathes. I would like to do automatic updates via portsnap/portupgrade,
but I need to set PREFIX and DBDIR permanently for specific ports, not
being overridden by the next portsnap fetch and upgrade.

Can you give hints, tips or just a 'no-go' in this concern? Thanks a lot,
Oliver