Acrobat - linuxpluginwrapper broken again?

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Aug 7 08:12:59 UTC 2006

"[LoN]Kamikaze" <LoN_Kamikaze at gmx.de> writes:

> Frank Jahnke wrote:
>> I updated Acroread to version 7.0.8 from the earlier 7.0.x along with
>> Gnome and many other things.  After I finished, Acroread would no longer
>> work in linuxpluginwrapper -- it would not be recognized as a plugin in
>> either Firefox or Epiphany.  I updated libmap.conf to point to the right
>> places, the files exist and with the right permissions.  I tried it both
>> with symlinks and direct links to nppdf.so and there was no difference
>> (not surprising).
>>
>> Did this break again?  I note that nppdf.so has not been updated.
>>
>> The good news is Acroread now works with linux-opera, which is new at
>> least for me.  It also works fine from the command line.
>>
>> The system is 6.1-R-p3/Gnome 2.14.3.
>>
>> Frank
>
> The same for me:
> # firefox about:plugins
> LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
> /usr/X11R6/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/ENU/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so
> [/usr/X11R6/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/ENU/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so:
> Undefined symbol "__ctype_b_loc"]

(Note I haven't installed a Linuxulator on my FreeBSD machines, so
forgive me if my questions are just shooting into the blue.)

This looks like some GNU libc 2.3 stuff, which changed at that time --
I'm not sure about the details, but between GNU libc 2.2 and 2.3, the
ctype.h stuff was changed, and the GNU libc versions I've been toying
with can be hacked to not refer to __ctype_b_loc@@GLIBC_2.3.4 by
defining __NO_CTYPE before all #includes.

I'm not sure if that would need to happen for Adobe's Reader or the
linuxpluginwrapper.

Can you check which version of the Linux glibc or libc your system has
installed?  Can you double check that the pluginwrapper picks the right
libc if there are alternatives?

--
Matthias Andree