[kde-freebsd] Suggestion for sub port

Beech Rintoul beech at alaskaparadise.com
Sun Aug 6 18:40:39 UTC 2006

On Sunday 06 August 2006 07:36, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> Beech Rintoul schrieb:
> > Would it be possible to make a sub port of kmail. Kdepim is a large build
> > and the only thing I use out of it is kmail. It would be nice if I could
> > just build that part of kdepim. I'm a port maintainer, but separating out
> > kmail is beyond my capabilities.
>
> It's beyond everyone's abilities I'm afraid. Kdepim is a very tightly
> integrated module, splitting out any particular application hardly saves
> any buildtime (the lion's share of code is in shared libraries which all
> apps in PIM link to). However, if you want to avoid build times, use a
> binary package (and poke the people responsible for the packagebuilding
> if they're not available :). And since you'll get the additional PIM
> functionality anyway, you might want to investigate what additional
> features that Kontact offers might be of use for you - it has a pretty
> nice and powerful organizer ...

Thanks Michael. I looked at the sources and it didn't look like much fun. I
really don't mind the build time if I'm going to use it. Looks like it's time
for me to dump outlook and give the whole package a try. I'm using kmail for
all my mail anyway.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - beech at alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Alaska Paradise
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://www.alaskaparadise.com